Chicken Cutlet Sandwich Recipe - Keanu Reeves once said "life is good, when you have a good sandwich" so I made a chicken cutlet sandwich loaded with bomba mayo, arugula, tomato, mozzarella, chicken cutlet and salami. You heard me right...I hope you enjoy this recipe because the work you have to put in is worth it.
CHICKEN CUTLET SANDWICH (crispy chicken sandwich)
Recipe by Mark Calaminici | Food Loves Company
Makes 2 sandwiches
1-2 chicken breasts, depending on size and preference
4 cups water, room temperature
¼ cup bomba sauce
¼ cup mayo
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
3 tbsp smoked paprika
Salt, to taste
Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup pecorino romano, grated
1 cup unseasoned Italian breadcrumbs
½ cup panko bread crumbs
½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp dried oregano, or to taste
dried chili, to taste
1 ½ cups extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ cups arugula
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
2 10 inch Panini buns, cut in half lengthwise, buttered and toasted
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
8 oz Mozzarella di Bufala, sliced or torn into pieces
8 slices of salami (hot or sweet and thinly sliced)
1. Place the chicken cutlets on a flat surface and slice in half (butterfly). Place chicken breast slices between two sheets of plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet or heavy pan to pound the breast to flatten it to your desired thickness. Continue with the remaining breasts. Try and keep all the breasts equal with thickness. For the brine, in a large bowl add salt, water and mix to dilute. Add chicken and cover and place in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
2. For the bomba mayo, combine bomba sauce and mayo, mix to combine and set aside in the fridge. In a large dish mix flour, smoked paprika and season with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Give it a mix to combine. In a shallow bowl add beaten eggs and Pecorino Romano and whisk well. In a third large dish add breadcrumbs, panko, fresh parsley, oregano, dried chili and season with salt and freshly cracked pepper.
3. Working one at a time dip chicken cutlet in flour and dip then into beaten eggs. Roll the chicken cutlet in the panko until fully coated. Repeat the process until all your chicken cutlets are coated. Place chicken cutlets on a sheet pan or rack until ready to fry.
4. Before frying the chicken, toast your bread with butter. In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat extra virgin olive oil. Add chicken and cook until golden brown and chicken is cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer cutlets to a paper towel–lined plate and season with salt.
5. In a large bowl, add arugula, 2 tbsp extra virgin olive, lemon juice and season with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Toss to incorporate all ingredients. Set aside.
6. Lay bottom half of bun on a flat work surface. Add bomba mayo, add arugula, add tomato slices (season with salt and freshly cracked pepper), add fresh mozzarella, add chicken cutlet(s) (you may have to cut to fit into bun), add 4 slices of salami and finish with more bomba mayo on the top half of the bun. Enjoy!
Until next time, Ciao!