This green bean recipe with garlic and crispy prosciutto will be a staple side dish from here on out. Green beans get such a bad rap but I have a feeling this recipe will change the reputation of the green bean. I love this method of broiling them, as it’s fast and easy. I hope you enjoy this recipe and remember, go heavy on the cheese! ALWAYS! :)
GREEN BEANS WITH GARLIC AND CRISPY PROSCIUTTO
Recipe by Mark Calaminici | Food Loves Company
5-6 slices of Prosciutto di Parma, thinly sliced
2 ½ tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Freshly cracked pepper
Chili flakes, to taste
1 tbsp. butter, unsalted
1 lb green beans, washed and trimmed
Grana Padano, finely grated, to taste
Zest of half a lemon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place prosciutto slices on a baking sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Place in oven for around 10-15 minutes, depending on desired crispiness. As the fat starts to render and the prosciutto becomes darker and starts to look crisp, you can remove. You may place slices on plate lined with paper towel to soak up excess grease. Place prosciutto in a food processor and pulse a few times until you get a crumble, like bacon bits. Once done, set aside.
2. In a large frying pan, add garlic, 1 ½ tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil and lightly season with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Turn heat to low-medium and cook garlic. As it starts to become tender, add 1 tbsp. of butter and let that melt. Once melted, remove sauce to a bowl and set aside.
3. Add green beans to a bowl and add 1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil and season with salt. Toss to coat the beans and then place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Separate the beans as best as you can and then place under the broiler for 2-5 minutes. Depending on how strong your broiler is, pay attention as timing can be different. Flipping beans half way through is optional.
4. Once the beans are done, remove from oven and place back in the bowl. Add garlic butter mixture, throw in some prosciutto crumble and toss to incorporate everything.
5. Plate your beans and grate as much Grana Padano as you like. Add the zest of half a lemon and garnish with remaining prosciutto crumble. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Until next time, ciao!