Cauliflower fried rice? Cauliflower is a great substitute for rice but will never beat the real thing, I don’t need to tell you that. But, if you are looking for a healthier, low carb and keto friendly option this recipe is great. It's very filling and pretty guilt free when it comes to calories and carb intake.
CAULIFLOWER FRIED RICE
Recipe by: Mark Calaminici | Food Love Company
3 tbsp sesame oil
2-3 eggs, whisked
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets and riced
Freshly cracked pepper
1 shallot, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely diced
½ red pepper, finely diced
½ cup frozen peas
1 green onion, chopped
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. fish sauce
3 tbsp. soya sauce, or more to taste
2 tbsp. hoisin sauce, or more to taste
Sambal, to taste, optional
1. Cut the cauliflower into florets. Working in batches, pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until you get that “rice” texture. Set aside.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of sesame oil in your wok over high heat. Add egg and quickly scramble it and keep the egg moving. Remove just before the eggs can set. Remove to a plate and give a quick wipe of the wok.
3. In a clean wok over high heat, add cauliflower rice and season with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Cook to remove the moisture from the cauliflower, constantly moving the rice around, not letting it able to set and burn on the bottom. This step is optional but does help from the overall dish from getting soggy. This can take up to 10 minutes. Remove and place in a bowl and give a quick wipe of the wok
4.Heat 2 tbsp of sesame oil in your wok over high heat. Add shallots, garlic, carrot and red pepper. Sauté until the carrots start to become tender, about 3-4 minutes.
5. Add cauliflower rice, frozen peas. Mix and add sauce mixture and continue to mix until all the ingredients are incorporated and the peas aren’t frozen anymore. A couple minutes before taking off the heat, add green onion and mix to incorporate all the ingredients. Plate and garnish with more green onion. Enjoy!
6. Add sesame oil, soya sauce and hoisin sauce. Mix to incorporate all ingredients.
7. Turn the heat to high and make a well in the middle of the wok. Add eggs and mix together until eggs have cooked. Stir in the green onions just before serving.
Until next time, ciao!