Liz Lemon would approve of this sandwich, I just know it. Now, breakfast is great any time of the day and so are sandwiches, so, here is another sandwich recipe that I am telling you to make. Yes, I am telling you to make this one and make it fast. This can be the perfect way to start your day or even end it. Crispy pancetta, spinach, cheese, bomba mayo and egg that is nestled into a soft, buttery brioche bun…sign me up!
BREAKFAST SANDWICH WITH CRISPY PANCETTA, SPINACH, ASIAGO CHEESE, EGG AND BOMBA MAYO
Recipe by Mark Calaminici | Food Loves Company
Bomba sauce, to taste
Mayonnaise, to taste
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 cups spinach, washed, trimmed and finely chopped
Salt, to taste
Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
6-8 Pancetta slices, thinly sliced
1/2 cup medium asiago cheese, coarsely grated
Butter, optional, to taste
2 brioche buns, toasted
1. For the bomba mayo, combine bomba sauce and mayo, mix to combine and set aside in the fridge. Adjust the ratio to your tastes. I usually do a 2 to 1 ratio of bomba to mayo.
2. In a frying pan on medium to high heat, add extra virgin olive and spinach. Season with salt, freshly cracked pepper and cook until spinach is wilted and reduced in size, stirring frequently. Once done, remove and set aside.
3. In a dry frying pan over low to medium heat, add pancetta and cook until it starts to render its fat and get crispy. Once cooked, remove to a plate lined with paper towel. Set aside. With the leftover rendered pancetta fat, you can toast or fry your eggs in it. If not, you can just remove and use butter or oil.
4. In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp. butter per egg. Crack the egg into the melted butter and fry until the egg whites are completely set. You can cover the pan partway through cooking and let the heat and steam gently cook the top of the egg, making sure the yolk remains runny. Season egg with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Set aside.
5. Lay toasted brioche bun on work surface. Add pancetta strips and top with spinach and cheese. Place under the broiler until cheese is melted. Add the fried egg on top of the melted cheese and then add a dollop of bomba mayo on the top half bun and enjoy.