What's so great about this Italian grilled chicken sandwich? the spicy bomba sauce! Most Italian specialty shops should sell Bomba sauce, so just go grab a jar and give this recipe a go.
ITALIAN GRILLED CHICKEN SANDWICH (spicy bomba chicken sandwich)
Recipe by Mark Calaminici | Food Loves Company
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 ¼ cup bomba sauce
½ cup mayonnaise
2 cups smoked mozzarella, shredded
4 brioche buns, buttered and toasted
1 Tomato, sliced
2 cups Arugula
Extra virgin olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
Freshly cracked pepper
1. Cut the chicken breasts in half. Set one of the chicken breast slices between two sheets of plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet or heavy pan to pound the breast to flatten it to your desired thickness. Continue with the remaining breasts.
2. Place chicken in a large resealable zip lock bag. Add 1 cup of bomba sauce and mix to coat all the chicken. Marinate in the fridge for 1 to 4 hours. (You can skip the marinating process if time is prohibited)
3. In a small bowl add the mayonnaise and ¼ cup of bomba sauce. Mix to incorporate ingredients. Set aside. In a seperate bowl, add arugula and drizzle extra virgin olive oil, juice of half a lemon and season with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Toss and set aside or place in fridge.
3. Preheat grill to medium high heat. Add chicken and cook, flipping once and basting with reserved marinade until cooked through, about 5-6 minutes on each side. Add smoked mozzarella on top of the chicken breast 1-2 minutes before removing chicken or until melted. You can also place in the broiler to get it more melted with crispy cheese edges (cheese skirt)
4. Lay buttered and toasted brioche bun on work surface. Add chicken breast on the bottom half of the bun, add a slice of tomato on top and season with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Add some arugula. Spread a big dollop of the bomba mayo on the top half of the bun. Enjoy!
Until next time, ciao!