Rigatoni with Mortadella and Peas is a great combo! This is very reminiscent to pasta recipes with ham and peas. Mortadella is one of many versions of Italian ham and it's delicious. It is one of my favourites when it comes to deli meats. This is an easy pasta dish that comes together fairly quick and is very tasty. There’s nothing I love more than pasta and mortadella and this recipe brings the two together, enjoy!
RIGATONI WITH MORTADELLA, PEAS AND PECORINO ROMANO
Recipe by Mark Calaminici | Food Loves Company
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
200g Mortadella, sliced 1” thick, cut into small cubes
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
½ of a small yellow onion, finely chopped
Salt, to taste
Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Chili flakes, to taste
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
150g frozen peas
80-100g Pecorino Romano, finely grated
1. Slice Mortadella into strips and then cut into small cubes. You want the cubes to be small enough to fit inside the hole of the Rigatoni. In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat 1tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil. Add cubed Mortadella and lightly fry until golden brown. Remove to a plate lined with paper towel and set aside.
2. In the same pan on medium heat, add 1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil, butter, onions and season with salt, freshly cracked pepper and chili flakes to taste. Saute onions and as they begin to soften add the garlic. Saute until onions and garlic are tender.
3. Cook the rigatoni in a large pot of boiling salted water. Remove pasta 2-3 minutes before done to finish cooking in the pan with the sauce. Reserve pasta water.
4. As the pasta cooks, add a ladle of pasta water to the pan and mix to help release any fond that was left on the bottom of the pan.
5. Add pasta to the pan and toss and mix to incorporate all ingredients. Add Mortadella and peas and continue to mix and toss, adding more pasta water if needed to help form your sauce. Remove pan from heat and add the cheese a bit at a time, while mixing and tossing, adding more pasta water if needed. You shold be left with a light creamy sauce. Garnish with freshly cracked pepper. Enjoy!