Grilled zucchini with feta and toasted almonds, is what we all need to make. This is a great dish for a BBQ and can act as a salad, appetizer or side dish. I don’t mind it hot or cold, it’s delicious either way. I suggest taking the extra step to remove some of the extra moisture, as zucchini is about 90% water. Getting those grill marks will be great for presentation and flavour. Let’s give the zucchini some love. Say it with me, zucchini, zucchini, zucchini!
GRILLED ZUCCHINI RIBBONS WITH FETA, TOASTED ALMONDS AND LEMON
Recipe by: Mark Calaminici | Food Loves Company
3-4 medium to large zucchini, ends trimmed and sliced lengthwise with a mandolin. About 1/8 inch thick or thinner
Salt, to taste
Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1 ½ tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
150g Feta, crumbled
Zest of one lemon
Juice of half a lemon
1. Cut the ends from the zucchini and slice lengthwise with a mandolin to create ribbons, about 1/8 inch thick. This next step is optional. Place the zucchini ribbons on a sheet pan lined with paper towel and season with salt. Leave for about 15-20 minutes (we can prep the other ingredients as you wait) after about 15-20 minutes you can blot the zucchini ribbons with a paper towel and then place in a bowl.
2. In a large frying pan over medium heat, add almonds and toast for 4-5 min, tossing frequently until golden brown. Place in a bowl and set aside.
3. Finely chop about ¼ cup of fresh parsley. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl add zucchini ribbons, season with freshly cracked pepper and salt. Be careful with the salt if you took the extra time to try and get rid of the excess moisture. Add extra virgin olive oil and gently mix to coat the zucchini ribbons. Grill zucchini ribbons on the BBQ or on a grill pan until tender and grill marks appear, about 2 minutes per side.
5. On a large serving dish, spread grilled zucchini ribbons and top with feta, toasted almonds, parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice and a drizzle of fresh extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy!
Until next time, Ciao!