How can you not love sweet potatoes? You can prepare them a million different ways, plus, they're high in fiber, vitamins A and C and so much more. A real super food! This recipe is easy, really easy. So, enough talk and time to get cooking.
HOT HONEY ROASTED SWEET POTATOES WITH WALNUTS, PARMIGIANO-REGGIANO AND HOT HONEY
Recipe by Mark Calaminici | Food Loves Company
¼ cup or 30g walnuts, toasted and chopped or processed into a powder
½ cup 135g honey
2tbsp or 8g dried chili flakes
1 tbsp. or 12g hot sauce, your choice
3 ½ lbs or 3-4 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled or skin on, cut into ½ inch or 1 inch rounds and quartered
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Salt, to taste
Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Dried oregano, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a dry frying pan over medium heat, add walnuts and toast for 4-5 min, tossing frequently until golden brown. Remove and let cool. Once cooled, place in a food processor and pulse until you get a powder like consistency. Place in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a dry frying pan, add honey and chili flakes. Mix to cover all the chili flakes. Once the honey starts to bubble or foam, add hot sauce, mix in and remove from the heat. Set aside to let the chili flakes infuse into the honey. The longer it sits the hotter it will be. You can leave as is or strain through a strainer to get a smoother consistency. You can also season with salt if you like.
4. Peel the sweet potatoes or leave the skin on and cut into ½ or 1 inch rounds and then quarter the rounds. Try to keep the pieces uniformed. Add potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Add extra virgin olive oil and season with salt, freshly cracked pepper and dried oregano. Toss to incorporate all the ingredients.
5. Transfer potatoes to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spreading the potatoes out evenly so they roast and not steam. Place in oven at 425 degrees for 45-50 minutes, flipping halfway through.
6. Just before the potatoes are done, about 5 minutes before, take out the potatoes and finely grate as much Parmigiano-Reggiano as you like all over the potatoes. Place back in the oven, but this time set to broil and the Parmigiano-Reggiano will melt and crisp up along with the potatoes, about 2-3 minutes.
7. Plate the potatoes onto a serving dish. Add the walnuts, more Parmigiano-Reggiano and drizzle hot honey all over. Enjoy!
Until next time, ciao!