This tart is the perfect combination of savoury and sweet. You can either bake this tart in one large shell or create a mixture with the ingredients and place into small tart shells for a great little appetizer. Either way it’s delicious!
Pears and Gorgonzola are one of the best combinations when it comes to fruit and cheese. The warm spicy notes of crisp pear go so well with the creaminess and mild flavour of the Gorgonzola. This is one of those recipes that is perfect for winter. Enjoy!
PEAR AND GORGONZOLA TART WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS
Recipe by Mark Calaminici | Food Loves Company
30 or ¼ cup walnuts, finely chopped, toasted
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 medium sweet onion, peeled and sliced or finely chopped
Salt, to taste
Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Chili flakes, to taste
5g or 2 tbsp. fresh thyme, removed from stems
1 pie shell, home made or store bought
1 egg, for egg white wash, save yolk
2 Bosc pears, sliced about ¼” thick
Parmigiano-Reggiano, to taste
Balsamic glaze, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a dry frying pan over medium heat, add walnuts and toast for 4-5 min, tossing frequently until golden brown. Remove and let cool.
3. In pan on medium-high heat add extra-virgin olive oil and the butter. Add onions, season with salt, freshly cracked pepper and chili flakes to taste. Leave undisturbed for 2-3 minutes to start the browning process. Mix and coat, give a mix and at this point you can bring the heat down to low. When the onion are at the halfway point, add the thyme, mix and continue finish cooking the onions. This process will take anywhere from 20-25 minutes, depending on personal preference, so check and stir often. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
4. Grab the pie shell and place some parchment paper into the shell along with some pie weights and place in the oven for 15 min. This is optional but just allows the shell to become flakier and crispier. When there is 2-3 minutes left remove the shell from the oven and take out the pie weights and brush with egg white wash. Place back in the oven for remaining time, without the weights. This method is called blind baking.
5. Remove pie shell and let cool a bit before filling. Preheat oven now to 425 degrees. Fill the bottom of the shell with the caramelized onions. Then layer the pear slices around the pie, slightly overlapping each other. You can fill the center of the pie with some smaller pieces. Crumble Gorgonzola all over and repeat with pie slices and Gorgonzola for a second layer. Top with Parmigiano-Reggiano and brush the crust with the egg wash, this time with the yolk mixed in.
6. Place tart in the oven at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Then lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is nicely browned, the filling has set and the cheese has melted and browned a little. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Top with the walnuts and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Enjoy!