If you love mushrooms then you are going to be a fan of these roasted mushrooms with garlic and tarragon butter. This recipe is a must and if you haven’t tried roasting mushrooms then this could be your new favourite way of making them. The garlic and tarragon butter is great but honestly once the mushrooms are roasted they can take on all types of flavour, so get creative. They’re also delicious straight from the oven.
ROASTED MUSHROOMS WITH GARLIC AND TARRAGON BUTTER
Recipe by Mark Calaminici | Food Loves Company
2 lb or 800g Cremini mushrooms (or any mushroom you like), cleaned, stems trimmed or removed
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Salt, to taste
Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Mushroom juice (about 3 tbsp. or to taste)
1 garlic clove, smashed
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
Chili flakes, to taste
2-3 tbsp. or 5g fresh tarragon, finely chopped
½ tbsp. lemon juice
Parmigiano-Reggiano, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, add mushrooms with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Toss to incorporate all ingredients.
3. Transfer mushrooms to a baking sheet lined with tin foil if you like. Place in oven and roast for 50-60 minutes, until nicely browned. After about 20 minutes of roasting, remove the mushrooms and do your best to remove as much as the mushroom juice that has formed and place in a bowl. Then add the mushrooms back in the oven to roast. Depending on how much mushroom juice you have removed, you will want about 3 tbsp. worth. Any extra can be used for soups, stock or whatever else you like, it’s great flavour.
4. In a large frying pan over medium heat, add the mushroom juice, garlic, butter, lemon juice and tarragon. Once everything has melted and has reduced a bit, bring the heat down to low and let it continue to reduce and simmer until the mushrooms are done. Removing the garlic is optional.
5. Just before removing the mushrooms, take them out and finely grate as much Parmigiano-Reggiano as you like all over the mushrooms. Place back in the oven and let the cheese melt, brown and crisp up. Once mushrooms are done, remove and place in a large bowl, add the garlic and tarragon butter and toss to incorporate all ingredients. Plate and garnish with any extra sauce and fresh tarragon. Enjoy.