This big green salad is filled with everything green. The goal of this recipe was to keep everything green, but also to pick the right vegetables and fruits that complement each other and can hold up being dressed with the creamy avocado dressing. It’s salty, sweet, fresh, creamy and delicious. This is a perfect summer BBQ salad and can be made as a meal or a side.
BIG GREEN SALAD
Recipe by Mark Calaminici | Food Loves Company
200g or 2 cups sugar snap peas, strings removed, sliced or chopped
3 persian cucumbers, sliced or chopped
½ granny smith apple, sliced or chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced or chopped
2 green onion stalks, sliced, only green part, save white part for dressing
135g or 1 cup frozen peas
125g kale, chopped
100g romaine lettuce, chopped
60g or 3tbsp capers, drained and dried
1 avocado, flesh and pit removed
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp maple syrup
40g parsley, stems included is optional
5-10 leaves fresh basil, depending on taste
1-2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Water, if needed to thin dressing
1. Place frozen peas in a medium pot of salted boiling water. Blanch for 1-2 minutes and remove to a bowl filled with water and ice to help stop the peas from continuing to cook and to prevent the peas from getting mushy. Lay out onto a plate lined with paper towel so the peas can dry.
2. Drain and dry your capers before frying to avoid any oil splatter. In a medium pan on medium heat, add extra virgin olive oil. Once oil becomes hot, add capers and fry until crispy. Remove and set aside on a plate lined with paper towel to dry.
3. In a large bowl add all the ingredients for the salad, except the fried capers. Tip: don’t forget to massage your kale.
4. In a blender add all the ingredients for the dressing and blend on medium-high until smooth and creamy. If you prefer a thinner dressing, just add some water while blending to help thin it out. Remove and set aside.
5. Add as much dressing as you like to the salad, I usually tend to have some dressing leftover that I use over the next few days for sandwiches and dipping veggies. Mix to combine everything and plate the salad. Top with more dressing and the fried capers. Enjoy!