One breakfast burrito with sausage and egg coming right up! This delicious and heavy breakfast burrito is either going to help start your day or put you right back to sleep. Either way, you are going to love this easy breakfast burrito. If you need help folding a burrito, I show you two options in the video. Go make yourself a burrito.
BREAKFAST BURRITO WITH SAUSAGE, EGG, CARAMELIZED ONIONS, AVOCADO, CHEESE AND BOMBA SAUCE
Recipe by Mark Calaminici | Food Loves Company
2 hot or medium sausages, casings removed
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
½ medium white onion, finely chopped
Salt, to taste
1 large avocado, halved, pitted and mashed
Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Juice of small lemon wedge
½ cup old cheddar, shredded
½ cup havarti cheese, shredded
5 eggs, lightly beaten
2-3 large flour tortillas (10”) warmed up
Bomba sauce, hot sauce or hot spread, to taste
1. In a large pant over medium-high heat, add sausage. As it cooks crumble with wooden spoon. You want to get small crumbles. Once cooked, set aside. You can take the cooked sausage and place in a food processor and pulse to create sausage crumbles or you can finely chop them up if you are having trouble doing it in the pan.
2. In that same pan you cooked the sausage bring heat down to low-medium. Heat 1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil and 1 tbsp. unsalted butter. Add onions and season with salt. Stir the onions often as they cook. They will become soft and start to lightly brown. No need for full caramelization but if you like, you can. Once the onions are a light yellow, you can remove to a bowl and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, add avocados and the lemon juice. Season with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Mash with a fork to your desired likeness. I like to keep some texture so I don’t fully mash the avocado. Set aside in the fridge.
4. Crack the eggs in a bowl and season with salt. Lightly whisk the eggs. In the same pan you cooked the sausage and onions bring the heat down to low-medium. Add 2 tbsp. of unsalted butter and the eggs. With a spatula continuously stir the eggs as they cook. Scramble the eggs however you like. When the eggs are about 80% finished add the onions and sausage and mix to incorporate and finish cooking the eggs to your desired doneness.
5. Place warm tortillas on a flat surface. Add cheese, egg mixture, avocado, bomba sauce and more cheese. Fold the bottom of the tortilla up and over the filling, while pulling the filling back toward the bottom third of the tortilla. Make two folds on either side of the larger fold. Now you can roll it up nice and tight.
6. In a pan on medium-high heat add the rolled burrito and toast each side. Enjoy!
Until next time, ciao!